Monday, August 13, 2012

AUTHOR INTERVIEW - Michael Loring


Welcome Michael, can you tell us a little about yourself how long you've been writing? 
Well, I’m not exactly certain what to say other than some basics. I’m a avid video game player, I enjoy reading (obviously :P) and writing has been my passion since I was eight years old. When I was in second grade my teacher had assigned a short story writing project for the entire class, and I found I had a talent for it. When we had to turn in our projects, mine being about a young boy staying home alone for the first time and being afraid of all the little sounds his house made, I received the highest grade in class. I realized I wanted to be an author the moment my teacher turned to me and said, “You should consider being an author!”

If you didn’t write, what other profession would you have selected?
I had thought long and hard on what I’d want to do if writing didn’t work out. I think what I would have done is been a boxing instructor. Other than writing, boxing had been a passion of mine. I loved the adrenaline rush of placing on those gloves and sparring with a partner. It was the most fun I’d have away from the computer!

What profession do you think you would hate?
Astronaut. I knew from a young age I didn’t want to go into space. I have some serious claustrophobia and anxiety, so being stuck in a tight little space for months on end would drive me crazy!

How do you balance between your personal life and your writing?
I once heard somewhere that you need to treat writing like a job. You have to set a time frame where you leave everything behind to write. For me I go to the library, where I have no television or internet to distract me. Everyone knows that when I’m at the library that there’s no getting a hold of me.

What is your favorite genre to read?  
Supernatural. I have loved the abnormal ever since I was a little boy, and reading it gave me a thrill nothing else could. I also love action/adventure. Put those two together and you’ve got me hooked!

What books are currently on your nightstand?
The Thirteenth Chime by Emma Michaels. It’s a great book, and I’ve been having a hard time putting it down to continue with my own writing haha!

Okay, you have just finished your book or it has just been released.  Is there something special you do to celebrate?
It’s not exactly spectacular what I do to celebrate, but I enjoy it nonetheless. I own a rather impressive movie collection (impressive to me, at least :P) and I pick out a series of movies to watch and then order a large pizza. Then me, my mom, and my sister sit together and watch the movies, sometimes making jokes about the movie, (“You think to Bella kissing Edward is like sucking on a Popsicle?)

How long did it take for your first book to get published?
It took me a year and a half to write Dehumanized. Once it was done, it took me a month to fully edit it. Then I set out to get published, and it took me exactly four months. I got rejected quite a few times, and I even got accepted by some places, but I didn’t agree with the terms of their contracts. When I found Bokheim Publishing it was like a God sent. I just felt a spark when I was looking at their website. I knew this was going to be it, and look at that! It was.

Do you ever suffer from writer’s block?  If so, what do you do to get out of it?
I get writer’s block more often than I’d like. Every author does. What I do is simply take a break, let my mind fill back up with the creative juices by watching movies and reading other books. Everything I do is to help keep inspiration.

We would love for you to paint a picture for us of you writing your books.  Do you always write in your office?  Do you ever go outside on a beautiful day and write there?  Are you listening to music when you write?  Drinking wine?  Do you do your best work during the day?  At night? 
As I mentioned before, I write exclusively at the library. I love going there-it’s my home away from home. I bring with me a backpack with my laptop and some cash inside and then I enter one of the study rooms with the HD TV and desk. I sometimes bring a movie with me to play in the background, but mostly I set up my IPod and listen to music. I always have a drink, usually sprite or ginger ale. The music I listen to is set according to what kind of scene I’m writing. It helps me get in the mood to write what’s going on. Like if I’m writing an action scene I listen to metal or rock, or if I’m writing a sad scene I listen to somber songs. It really works out for me. I write just like this for up to nine hours before I decide to head home and rest to redo the same thing the next day.


Can you share a little of your current work with us? 
I’m currently working on the sequel to Dehumanized. That’s my main focus, but I have a few projects going on that I tend to whenever I feel I need a break from Dehumanized. One thing I’ve really been focusing on is a new collection of short stories that I hope to have done within the next few months.

In Twitter fashion use 140 characters or less, sum up Dehumanized for us. 
Dehumanized is new look on werewolves that pays homage to the old school wolves like An American Werewolf In London or The Wolf Man with traces of dystopia inside.

How did you come up with the character Ryan Zachery?
I came up with Ryan long before I came up with the story. He is a young man who was ripped from his life and forced into this new one he hates so dearly. Ryan has a lot of qualities that I do. I’d daresay he’s like my brother, if I had one. My main influence though came from Lawrence Talbot in the 2010 version of The Wolfman movie. His revulsion at what he is and his rejection of the wolf inside of him comes a lot from Lawrence Talbot, though near the end I steer away from that character and create a very original character that takes a life of his own.

If you could pick one actor to portray Ryan on the big screen who would it be and why? 
That’s a tough question. If I had to choose, I think maybe Taylor Lautner. In my mind when I picture Ryan I see something similar to Taylor Lautner, with dark hair and a wide frame, but with a young appearance. I think Lautner would be a good match if he could portray the drama that goes on in Ryan’s life.

What were your feelings when you first saw the cover of your finished book? 
Revulsion. Complete and utter revulsion. Haha, no I’m kidding. I could barely contain my joy when I first saw the cover. Emma Michaels, the cover artist who did my cover, was very patient with me when I was talking ideas with her. When she sent me the first draft, I was at the library, and when I saw it I couldn’t contain my embarrassment after jumping up and shouting, “Oh my God!” It was just so epically awesome, and it filled me with such joy to see my work coming to life. I nearly cried that day. 






More novels written by Michael Loring:


Thank you Michael for stopping by and answering some questions.
Hope to see you again soon.  

If you have any have any questions for Michael, please feel free to ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment