Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Toni's Review of Curses! A F**ked Up Fairy Tale by JA Kazimer ***5 Stars***


I’m no hero. In fact, up until a couple of days ago, I was the villain. Kidnapped maidens, scared kids, stole magic tchotchkes—until I got into a little scrape with the union. Now I’m cursed with the worst fate in New Never City—no matter what I do, I gotta be nice.

So when a head-case princess named Asia barges into my apartment and asks me to find out who whacked her stepsister, Cinderella, I have no choice but to help her. And I’m more than willing to head back to her parents’ castle and do some investigating if it means I can get into her black leather cat suit. Except this twisted sister has a family nutty enough to send the Biggest Baddest Wolf running for the hills—and a freaky little curse of her own...





******************

First off you really need to watch this skit from Saturday Night Live - The Real Housewives of Disney.  I got this clip off Kazimer's website and let me just say that it really sums up this tale and what you can look forward to with this series.


Also there is a great blog about what is going on in the kingdom, check out:  The New Never News


This has been one of the best stories that I have read in a long time.  If you like your fairytales with butterflies and charming princes this story is not for you.  Welcome to the dark side of fairytales!

Cinderella has just been murdered and her ugly stepsister, Asia, wants to know why.  Things are not what they appear though and she hires RJ to find out what really happened to Cinderella.  To start things off, Asia doesn’t know that RJ is not who she thinks he is.  He is a villain on medical leave.  But what is a villain to do when he is broke and a hot sexy woman asks for your help and all he wants to do is help her get out of her skintight outfit? Help the poor girl, of course.  Their investigation takes them from one end of the kingdom to the other.  No one can be trusted, because everyone is a suspect.

I was snorting and laughing so hard while I was reading that I may have actually had an accident.  This story is so demented and twisted that only the truly sick of minds will appreciate it.  Well that is not true; anyone with a solid sense of humor will devour it, but be prepared to be shocked and awestruck.

Kazimer is a brilliant writer who took a simple sweet tale and made it her own.  Her sense of humor is almost scary at times and you wonder if she was sober when she wrote Curses.  Someone asked me what I was reading and I told them it was a story about fairytales on crack or a really bad acid trip.  They laughed and of course asked for the title. 

Curses is definitely an adult read and I’m so excited that she is continuing with the F**ked Up Fairytale series.  She has dumped my views of classic fairytales on their collective butts and I can’t wait to see what else she has in store for me.  There are countless characters that you loved as a child, but told in such an innovative light that you soon forget how they once were and embrace the new, and in some cases improved characters. 

Curses! A F**ked Up Fairytale is a breath of fresh air; well not really, it is more like a hallucinogenic haze, but if you want the trip of your life – take a really deep breathe because trust me this is one trippy ride.

Thanks for reading! - Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment